A living document.



Thursday, October 20, 2005

Poor Mr. Buddy's been murdered in his own stately home!

Exhibit #1 -- Email from Swung On and Missed headquarters to Ms. Wonkette and her minions in response to her Indictment Contest, sent at 11:15 a.m. on October 19:
"Indictments guess contest: Perjury and obstruction of justice by Libby and Rove (committed in the lounge, with the assistance of Col. Mustard, with the wrench)."
Exhibit #2 -- Headline of a Swung on and Missed post plugging (in a good way) Wonkette's contest, posted at 11:44 a.m. on October 19:
"Wonkette Contest: Col. Mustard in the Lounge with a Wrench"
Exhibit #3 -- First line of Wonkette post (written by Michael Weiss as Ms. Wonkette relaxes in Puerto Rico as news about her novel spreads), posted on October 20:
"WaPo has all but fingered Mr. Green, in the library, with the candlestick."
Clearly, there are three explanations for this.

One, that Mr. Weiss, trying to stake a claim in the Wonkette universe, took the idea from my email and cleverly changed the Mustard to Green, lounge to library, and wrench to candlestick. (All of those changes make his Clue sentence funnier than mine, which is why he is a professional writer and I am a lawyer.)

Two, that he reads this blog. Clearly, that would show that young Mr. Weiss has good taste, but I find this idea dubious given that fewer than five people read this blog (and most are looking for scoop about Iggy Pop because of the "Blah Blah Blah" subhead at the top of the page).

Three, we both came up with the Clue idea independently. In other words, a coincidence. To this, I must paraphrase Spy Magazine from those heady days in the early 1990s: "Coincidence . . . or Worldwide Jewish Conspiracy?"

(Of course, like this poor chap, I am yet another Jew who was left out of the Worldwide Jewish Conspiracy. Although given that I have now typed that fun phrase twice, I imagine I'll soon be receiving comments from Neo-Nazi Iggy Pop fans.)

3 comments:

SOAM said...

Per the comment above, link has been adjusted to a more family-friendly web page . . . .

CALIDAD Y SEGURIDAD DEL PACIENTE HOSPITAL DE HUALAÑÉ said...

I love this movie!!! la he visto solo una vez y me encantó

SOAM said...

Thanks, Maria Jose. I believe that I am on safe ground by saying that you are the most enthusiastic "Clue: The Movie" fan ever. Where are you writing from?